Opening General Session: How to be an Ally featuring Keynote Speaker Deanna Singh
Recorded On: 06/12/2023
Are you ready to kick-off the rail conference in Pittsburgh? Join your industry peers for an exciting two and a half days of learning and networking. The conference will begin with an opening session where you will have the opportunity to hear from APTA leadership and the host, Pittsburgh Regional Transit, as they share all the exciting and relevant information you will learn and see over the next three days.
But that's not all! The opening session will also feature an important and thought-provoking message from our keynote speaker, Deanna Singh. Deanna will be speaking on the topic of "How to be an Ally". This topic is particularly important in today's world, where diversity and inclusion are crucial to the success of any organization.. Many DEI approaches focus on leadership and programs that create organization-wide inclusion. But there are plenty of things individuals can do to create microinclusions. Even without formal title, budget, or direct reports, there are everyday actions everyone can take to foster a culture of belonging. In fact, all programmatic approaches to inclusivity become more effective when combined with interpersonal behaviors. Examining things like bystander intervention, meeting elevation techniques, peer review volunteering, and informal coaching, this session explores how individuals can improve entire organizations in ways that benefit everyone.
As a keynote speaker, Deanna Singh is an accomplished author, educator, and social entrepreneur. She has a wealth of experience in the areas of diversity, equity, and inclusion, and is sure to provide valuable insights and practical advice on how to be an effective ally.
So don't miss out on this exciting opening session!
- Deanna Singh, Chief Change Agent and Founder, Flying Elephant
- Paul Skoutelas, President and CEO, American Public Transportation Association
- Dorval Carter, APTA Chair, and President, Chicago Transit Authority
- Katharine Kelleman, Chief Executive Officer, Pittsburgh Regional Transit (PRT)
- Jeffrey Letwin, Board Chairperson, Pittsburgh Regional Transit (PRT)
- Rich Fitzgerald, County Executive, Allegheny County
- Veronique Hakim, Sr VP & National Transit & Rail Market Sector Leader, HNTB Corporation